POSITION TITLE: Community Engagement Manager
HOURS/WEEK: Exempt position; 40+ hours/week
REPORTS TO: Senior Program Manager – Community Engagement
SUPERVISES: Program Participants & Resident Leaders (short and longer-term basis)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Community Engagement Manager position cultivates grassroots leadership by working with program participants and residents (youth, young adults and adults) to develop their leadership capacity and increase their committed engagement in community change efforts. Additionally, the Community Engagement Manager is responsible for achieving metrics associated with various engagement strategies and ensures compliance in implementation of funded programs.
ABOUT CDTECH: The Community Development Technologies Center (CDTech) is a nationally recognized nonprofit dedicated to promoting economic opportunities and empowerment for low income residents and communities. Our mission is to build livable and economically viable neighborhoods throughout the neglected areas of Los Angeles – where over 20% of households live in poverty. Our programs help strengthen the social, economic and built environments of these neighborhoods by focusing on community strengths and strategic partnerships.
- Management and Development of Program Participants: On-board, train and supervise interns placed at CDTech in short-term or 10-month apprenticeships to achieve critical elements of strategic goal implementation; develop and oversee work plans in collaboration with Supervisor; provide training on core elements of the work; assess and approve work plan implementation progress, placement hours and service reflections; address issues within the context of CDTech’s performance matrix.
- Management and Development of Resident Leaders: Outreach and recruit resident leaders into organizational and collaborative programs or initiatives. On-board, train and support resident leaders in carrying out their identified leadership responsibilities by building and reinforcing their development of a strong set of essential, action-oriented community development skills. Maintain ongoing development and support to a leadership base of active leaders. Monitor implementation progress, provide critical feedback and re-direct as indicated; and, track and develop progress reports.
- Planning, Assessment and Evaluation: Work collaboratively with Supervisor, other Senior Managers and program staff, to develop program and implementation strategies and work plans to meet both organizational/collaborative priorities and achieve grant deliverables identified within the scope of the position’s performance objectives. Collect data, track and report progress as indicated and demonstrate accountability and compliance in implementing grant deliverables.
- Collaborative Partners: Develop and maintain working relationships with nonprofit/public/private sector partners and institutions including Los Angeles Trade-Technical College, FamilySource Centers; South Los Angeles high schools; and, local small businesses. Support CDTech’s leadership role in multiple South Los Angeles collaborations.
- This position requires previous leadership in community engagement, grant management, intern/volunteer supervision and commitment to CDTech’s mission and core values.
- Sustained availability to work some evenings and weekends each month is required; must have a valid Driver’s License and own reliable, insured transportation for local travel.
- Accountable to results-based leadership development; demonstrated ability to prioritize, set goals and track results in multiple projects/programs/priorities simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to work with South Los Angeles’s diverse populations and non-profit, public and private partners; ability to create and maintain a positive, effective resident/participant/volunteer experience.
- Ability to bring new and exciting ideas to the organization, listen and incorporate insight from team members and maintain a flexible, positive attitude toward testing new initiatives and/or expanding programs into new opportunities.
- Strong training and public speaking skills; confidently and competently representing CDTech in community initiatives and events that support our mission and goals and that engage residents.
- Bilingual (Spanish Fluency) Highly Desirable
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Be able to be out in field, conduct door-to-door, large-scale neighborhood/school outreach including commuting to and from neighborhoods and sites; requires extensive walking, climbing/descending stairs and standing in the targeted areas of South LA and other communities as assigned; light lifting of boxes and equipment up to 50 pounds, carrying up and down stairs as well as level surfaces; setting up and moving tables and chairs and setting up equipment within the training/meeting space; prolonged holding of video/audio recording devices and still cameras; climbing step ladder to hang banners; cleaning up event and meeting sites.
SALARY RANGE: $40,000 – $49,500
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please send resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com by September 5.
The subject line should read “Community Engagement Manager: First Name, Last Name.”